Great Places to Dine

It isn't very fair to tell you all about making reservations but not about some of the great places you should consider making one!

Please bear in mind that these are simply my favorites. This is certainly not a one-size-fits-all kind if thing, since eating preferences vary by individual. Each restaurant is unique and will serve menu items reflective of the period or part of the world reflected in the restaurant's theme.  However, this is Walt Disney World, so all venues will have a selection of standard fare available for the less adventurous in your group.  Child-friendly favorites like chicken nuggets or pizza will be on the menu as well.

Some of these are my favorites because I have been there and had great experiences. Others are places I have read about and want to try because others have had great experiences there. I will distinguish personal experience from external feedback in my description of the restaurant.

Magic Kingdom

  • Liberty Tree Tavern- I have not eaten here myself (frankly because I have not been able to get reservations on my chosen date), but this restaurant is family-style cooking of classic comfort foods like pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy.
  • Citricos at Grand Floridian- Just a short monorail ride outside the park, this restaurant is in the main building of the Grand Floridian resort.  Food is prepared with a Mediterranean flair, typically with a nod to couscous or risotto rather than rice or potatoes.  I had a wonderful scallop appetizer and beautifully prepared filet during my last visit.
  • California Grill at Contemporary- As you would imagine, the food here has a California vibe.  Specialties here include cedar plank salmon.  I have not eaten here, but if you choose to make a reservation consider making one during the fireworks show over the Magic Kingdom.  The restaurant will dim the lights and play the music that accompanies the performance.  Dinner AND a show! Once again, this is a restaurant I have wanted to try but failed to secure a reservation.
Epcot
  • Coral Reef - Located inside The Seas with Nemo and Friends Pavilion this is primarily a seafood restaurant, but that doesn't mean you can't find anything else on the menu.  One of the coolest features of this restaurant is the windows into the giant saltwater tank featuring a Caribbean coral reef.  My husband and I ate lunch here once and were entertained for the whole meal by a sea turtle who decided to hang out by our window.
  • Akershus Royal Banquet Hall- Located in the Norway Pavilion, this is where our little princess got to meet Disney's princesses.  To be honest, I figured we were a captive audience because of the character experience so the food would be questionable at best.  I was pleasantly surprised both by the quality of the food and the quality of the service.  I'll write another post later about "Character Dining" that will get into more detail...
  • Restaurant Marrakesh- Located in the Morocco pavilion, this restaurant serves Northern Mediterranean fare.  It also features a belly dancer (check the park schedule for performance times), which may encourage the males in your group to help you find the restaurant.  We have eaten here two of our past three visits and have really enjoyed the food. This restaurant is not typically busy, so it is a good place to know about in case you don't have dining reservations and find yourself hungry in the World Showcase.
  • Le Cellier Steakhouse- Located in the Canada pavilion, this is supposed to be one of the best places to get a steak.  I haven't been there yet, but the feedback about the quality of the steaks here has been consistent in all the guidebooks I have read.
  • Flying Fish- This restaurant is located at the Boardwalk resort, which is just a short walk (or boat ride) from the World Showcase to the Epcot resort area. While I wasn't impressed the first time we dined there, we gave it another try on our last trip and loved it.  I must say, our service there was EXCELLENT and our waiter was kind and attentive to a very tired four year old.  Just what we needed after a long day in the parks.
Hollywood Studios
  • 50's Prime Time Cafe- This is my all-time favorite restaurant in this park.  Be prepared for a little unexpected behavior, as the wait-staff are your "cousins" who will point out when you have your elbows on the table or don't eat your vegetables. Last time we ate there, I was questioned by my "cousin" upon my return from the restroom "Did you wash your hands?" When I said I had, she insisted I tell her the color of the soap!  It is a really fun time, and all the staff are totally in character for the whole of the meal.
  • Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano- While I have not eaten here, I have a number of friends who have and enjoyed it.  This is one of the restaurant that offers a "Fantasmic Dining Package" that provides designated seating for that evening's performance of Fantasmic.  We did this once with the Hollywood Brown Derby, and it was really nice to avoid the crowd and waiting to get into the venue.  With this reservation, they take you in through a different entrance and usher you to an area of reserved seating.  Then just sit back and enjoy the show!
Animal Kingdom
  • Yak and Yeti- This restaurant serves Asian-style fare, including barbecued spare ribs.  Our dinner here was good, as well as the service.  Don't be confused by the Yak and Yeti Cafe next door (like I was) which was a good place to get some fries and a frozen lemonade while we were watching the parade.
  • Jiko - The Cooking Place- This restaurant is located outside the park at the Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House.  While it has changed over the years, it is still one of our favorite restaurants.  They have a beautiful lighting display that mimics the sunrise and sunset.  The hanging fixtures look like a flock of birds.  It is an amazing venue.  The food and service is excellent.  The wine cellar boasts wines from Africa and the food has a Northern African flavor.
  • Boma- Flavors of Africa - We did not eat here until our most recent trip.  To be honest, we weren't sure the food at a buffet-style restaurant would be worth the trip from the park to the resort.  After eating there, I was really GLAD it was a buffet.  This makes the food so much more accessible.  Sample "...dishes inspired by the varied flavors and seasonal dishes of over 50 African countries, from the coast of the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean. (from the Disney site)"  Not to worry, there are also more mainstream items available for the less adventurous in your group. Try a little bit of this and a little bit of that, see what you like, then go back for more.  Leave room for dessert, because the Zebra Domes are awesome.  
Well, those are my top-picks for restaurants.  Do you have any favorites that you feel like I have overlooked?

No comments:

Post a Comment